Children’s Yoga & Mindfulness Training Syllabus
3 day Course with Janine Hurley & Chelsea Canovas
· Introduction – outline and aim of the course.
· Why teach yoga to children? Benefits on a personal, social and global scale.
· Yoga philosophy and how this relates to children
· Pranayama and children
· Koshas, Nadis and Chakras
· Yamas & Niyamas
· What is Mindfulness? How to introduce useful mindfulness techniques into the children’s yoga class and into your teaching.
· Child Development – PSHE and teaching children with special needs
· How stress affects children’s health on a personal, social and global scale.
· Asanas – classical hatha yoga asanas and how they can be adapted to suit children. A good knowledge of asana is presumed.
· Breathing – techniques and use of props to aid learning.
· Relaxation, visualisation and meditation techniques for children
· Movement, dance and self-expression
· Using sounds, songs and chants.
· Unleashing your creativity! Teachers will be encouraged to be creative and to research fun things that can be incorporated into a children’s class.
· Tools of the Trade!
· Class structure & lesson planning
· Yoga Games
· How to make the lesson flow - linking postures.
· NLP techniques, using your voice effectively and age-appropriate language
· Classroom management
· Health & Safety, Child Protection
· Marketing yourself
· Yoga community
· Useful resources
There will be 4 tasks for assessment – 3 are done during the course and 1 after the course. Please note that these must be completed before the certificate is issued.